Saturday afternoon saw some FA Buildbase action return to Vale Farm with the away side leaving with safe passage to the Third Qualifying Round. A close 0-0 draw in regular time resulted in a penalty shootout to decide the tie, with the Greens edging out the home side.

This result confirmed the first official result to end Wembley’s 5 match win streak, with the previous game being cancelled at 1-1 in the 88th minute due to a head injury.

The starting XI stayed the same from the last fixture, with Ethan Tyrer thankfully recovering quickly and being available for selection for the match. Mierzwa gained a place on the bench for the Cup weekend.

The match started quickly, with both sides creating chances early on, yet no real threats were made to the scoreline. The first major action of the game came in the 11th minute, where some clinical play down the right wing opened up a chance for Khan, who forced a smart stop down low for the Green’s keeper; who was then also able to gather up the rebounded shot.

After some quick passing from the away side, a Green’s player was brought down on the edge of the box, resulting in a dangerous free-kick for Holmer Green. The resulting set piece however didn’t trouble Belgrave between the sticks.

The closest chance of the first half fell to the Green’s as a wayward shot took a nasty deflection and looped over the Wembley backline, and the goalkeeper, before harmlessly bouncing just wide of the far post.

Another tidy piece of wing play saw space open up for Qasim Khan to cut in and shoot, but his powerful low effort grazed the side of the net.

The first half finished 0-0, but the scoreline didn’t do the attacking football on display justice.

The first action of the second half came from the Home side again, with a long distance shot from Alfie Bates sailing high and wide of the top corner. Straight from the goal kick the Green’s mounted a counter attack, but Ethan Tyrer pulled off a wonderful tackle to break up the play.

Alfie Bates found himself being put into the Referee’s book following a tactical foul to break up another dangerous Green’s counter attack. The resulting free kick found it’s was onto the left wing where a shot came in which Belgrave reacted well to, acrobatically tipping it round the post.

The closest chance Wembley had to score an opener came in the 85th Minute, where a scrappy goalmouth scramble resulted in a goalkick to the home side, but should’ve ended in a late goal for the Lions.

As per the rules of the FA Vase, the tie is decided on penalties in the event of a draw, with no extra time to be played.

The standard of penalties was high from both sides, with the first 9 being scored without reply. Unfortunately for the Lions it was Tyrers penalty which was the first to not find the back of the net, as it struck the bar. The final penalty did no justice to the standard of Ethan’s game, as he was a standout performer at the back for the Lions.

Wembley FC: Belgrave, Osborne, Ejimfor, Tyrer, Bernard, Larrington, Bates, Adetiba, Khan, Fehmi-Gil, Iley Subs: Mierzwa, Osman, Jones, Ribiero, Heron, Hamdi, Sabti

Holmer Green FC: Axworthy, Jarrot, Mitchell, Bent, Franks, Daio, Booker, Esplund-Evans, Dimitrejevic, Hodges, Williams Subs: Odumosu, Thompson, Chunga, Shoyaye, Bryant

Tom Gourley