Tuesday, 17th  January, 2017,

Spartan South Midland League Challenge Trophy – Third Round

The date: Tuesday, 17th January, 2017 will not be fondly recalled in the annuals of Wembley F.C. history. Firstly, they learnt (via social media rather than from official sources) that Hertford Town had won their appeal over the League’s decision to replay the Premier Division fixture played between the two clubs back in August when the referee made an error in not allowing Wembley replace their goalkeeper, who was injured in the warm-up. Hertford won the game, four-one. Wembley protested. A rematch was ordered. The result now stands.

The appeal heard by the Football Association, now leaves Wembley with just three games in hand on leaders London Colney, who are nineteen points ahead. Their promotion prospects based on that ratio were extremely remote.

Nonetheless, Wembley still remained in two cup competitions…..or rather they were! Their progress was ended in one of them, as later that evening first division Langford knocked them out of the S.S.M.L Challenge Trophy.

The mind boggles as to how Wembley failed to win this third round tie. They had most of the possession and were the dominant side throughout, but still managed to lose.  However, diehard Wembley observers have grown use to seeing their beloved team fail gloomily by performing far too nonchalantly in similar circumstances against ‘lesser’ opposition, and so this defeat was not a complete surprise.

Having adapted their style of play on a frosty pitch, Wembley were on the verge of breaking through. The home goalkeeper, in unorthodox fashion, used his feet to twice foil Jermaine Heron, while a Joe Wright lob thudded against the crossbar.

However, against the run play in the 38th minute, Langford netted the only goal of the game. The visitors were left dumbfounded by the referee’s decision to overrule his assistant and award Langford a throw-in. This was taken quickly and thrown beyond the flat-footed Wembley rearguard. Meshach Hendrickson sprinted away and planted the ball beyond the exposed Adam Humphries.

A goal in front, the home side did little else but defend after that. However, despite their pressure, Wembley’s never looked like scoring. Apart from an awkward Ayoub Amellal corner which was pushed unconvincingly onto the bar, Wembley’s approach work was far too slow and ponderous to cause any real problems. And when they did manage to penetrate Langford’s mass ranks, their delivery into the visitors’ six-yard box from corners, free-kicks and the like was fairly abysmal, to say the least.

With Wembley failing to’ throw everything but the kitchen sink’ at their hosts, Langford held onto their slim lead with no due concerns to book a quarter final place…while the Lions bowed tamely out.

WEMBLEY: Humphries, Carroll, Weir (Fehmi-Gil 70), Walters, Pearce,  O’Reilly, Heron,

Amellal, Wright (Bumbu 70), Dinham, Iley.



Date Time Full Time
17th January 2017 3:05 PM 90'
Wembley Football Club